Sunday, November 23, 2008

TWILIGHT MOVIE REVIEW




So - just a quick blurb about the movie TWILIGHT:

First - I must ask myself: Oh why, oh why, did I go to the movie this morning?  

You know how people always say that the book is better than the movie? Well - in this case this is really more than true.  I do not understand how anyone could take such a great story - with such fantastic potential and completely screw it up! 

I think that the script must have been really very short.  I do not believe that any of the characters had any lines that were more than 3 or 4 words long.  There was absolutely no character development.  Even Wendy found herself laughing when Dr. Carlisle Cullen (played by Peter Facinelli) walked into the ER - you know - the scene where Bella (Kristen Stewart) is taken to the ER after Edward (Robert Pattinson) saves her from nearly being smooshed by a van in the high school parking lot... It was truly laughable - Dr. Cullen walks into the ER - while putting on gloves (oh - quick side note here - I am a REAL LIFE ER doc and I don't walk into a patients room ever while snapping my gloves into place - seemed very forced to me).  Anyway - back to my rant - Dr. Cullen's face is more than vampire-pale, ghastly - it is like clown makeup white.   

As far as the acting goes - well, I think that Peter Facinelli did a great job playing Dr. Cullen (aside from the make up and the glove-snapping).  I am saddened by the fact that Jasper (Jackson Rathbone) was portrayed as a slightly mentally retarded Edward Scissorhands type and that Alice (Ashley Greene) and Rosalie (Nikki Reed) were not just a little bit cuter.  I can't complain that much about the Alice and Rosalie characters as they did not get that much face time - but I really did expect that these two (actually that the entire Cullen family) would be breathtakingly beautiful and I really was waiting for some super model type beauties to show up in these roles.  

Edward was of course very good looking - very hot and he did a great job looking the part.  But, I feel like he was not given enough material to really work with.  His character could have been really great but again, really limited character development.  I was really bummed that they did not give Robert Pattinson a better script - a better movie to act in.  So Robert - you are not blamed for this one - I think you looked awesome and did what you could.  I will picture your face as Edward while I finish these last two books of the Twilight Saga. 

Elizabeth Reaser (she played Esme - Dr. Carslile Cullen's wife) did a great job.  Also - not much camera time but she looked great and her character seemed different than the crazy little chick she played on Grey's last season.  Nice job, Elizabeth. 

OK - that's all I've got today as a movie critic.  I think I'll go back to doing what I do better - making funky onesies and cute little dresses and of course - being a real life ER doctor.  Maybe I will try that glove-snapping trick as I walk into my patients rooms tonight.  Hmmm....  


No comments: